Vegan Oat Crunchies
If crunchies bring back happy childhood memories then this vegan crunchy recipe is the one for you. We've modernised the old classic enough to make it amazing but not enough to lose it nostalgic appeal.
Healthy and indulgent at the same time, enjoy! Recipe is adapted from lovingitvegan.com
- 1 3/4 cups Oats
- 1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 cup Dessicated Coconut
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 3/4 cup (170g) Vegan Butter or Margarine
- 3 Tbsp Date Syrup
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 1 cup Walnuts (Chopped)
- 3 tsp vegan chocolate spread (room temperature or melt if firm)
- Preheat the oven to (163°C). Spray a 9×13cm baking dish with non-stick spray and line it with parchment paper so that there is overhang on each side.
- Add the rolled oats, flour, dessicated coconut, cinnamon and salt to a mixing bowl and mix together.
- Add the vegan butter to a pot on the stove and melt it on medium heat.
- Add the date syrup and sugar and stir until the sugar has melted completely and the mixture is bubbling.
- Remove from the heat and add the baking soda and using a hand whisk, quickly whisk it all together. The mixture will foam up when the baking soda is added.
- Pour the melted butter, sugar and date syrup mix over the dry ingredients and stir in.
- Add the vanilla extract and stir. Add the chopped walnuts and stir in.
- Transfer to your prepared baking tray and smooth down with the back of a spoon.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes before lifting it out using the parchment paper overhang.
- Slice into 16 bars.
- When the bars are completely cooled, drizzle chocolate spread.