Watermelon and Mint Summer Salad
There is nothing better on a hot summers day than watermelon.
But gone are the days of being solely satisfied with biting from a cut wedge, barely stopping to wipe the juices running down your arm.
Now days I want to run around like a crazy kid holding my piece of watermelon, followed by sitting down to a sophisticated meal.
Because I am mature like that.
I am sure I don't have to show you how to run around like a watermelon mad ankle bitter so here is a quick fresh recipe that you can whip together when you feeling a little more hoity-toity.
Summer Salad -
Watermelon and Mint
- 3 cups of chopped/cubed Watermelon
- Half a medium Cucumber, cut into small wedge.
- Handful of Fresh Mint, finely chopped.
- 1/2 a cup of Pumpkin Seeds.
- Juice of 1/2 a Lemon.
- Tablespoons of Olive Oil.
- Tablespoon Maple Syrup.
- Heat a drizzle of olive oil over medium heat in a small pan. Once warm, toss in your pumpkin seeds and let fry, checking and stirring them every so often. This will take 5 - 10 mins.
- While your pumpkin seeds are frying, cut your watermelon into small cubes and place in salad bowl.
- Cut half a medium cucumber into small wedges and add to salad bowl
- Check pumpkin seeds, once they are ready, set aside and allow to cool.
- Finely chop your fresh mint leaves and add evenly to salad bowl.
- Once pumpkin seeds are cool, add them to watermelon, cucumber and mint.
- Gently turn your salad to mix.
- In a small dish add your 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 1 tablespoon of maple syrup and juice of half a lemon. Mix together well.
- Now, you can choose. Either add dressing to salad in bowl and mix gently then serve. Or, and I mean this is the only real option, serve salad on plate and drizzle with dressing in front of guests. This simple trick increase hoity-toity levels to the max and will surely rile some comments from the peanut gallery.
Let me know how your salad turns out.
If you have left over watermelon add it to your G&T and make your Summer Saturday Dreams come true.