How to prepare almond flakes.
Almond Flakes are one of the best thing to keep a full jar right next to the stove. You can add these healthy treats to so many dishes and it makes you seem like a legend in the kitchen.
Almond flakes need to be toasted to get the true magic out of them. Once they are golden brown, which takes like 5 minutes, you can sprinkle them over anything from salads, curries, roast veg even ice cream. They are awesome and can easily be done along side many dishes you make.
To get the best out of them, you are going to have to toasted them in one of two ways; toasted in the oven or fried in a little oil. Both ways have quick cooking time but one needs you to have the oven on. There is a clear winner there but if you using the oven might as well save the energy and toast you almond flakes in there.
We usually heat a little oil over medium heat in a small little pan that I used to use for eggs back in the day. Reason I use it is it is small enough to fry a small amount of nuts for two and it has a lid so I can shake it around.
To fry your almond flakes:
- Heat a little oil over medium heat in a small pan, preferably with a fitted lid.
- Once heated, add your almond flakes, put on lid and shake around or if you Gordon Ramsey you can stir it around to coat your almonds with the hot oil.
- Fry for about 5 to 8 minutes stirring or 'shaking' regularly to brown evenly. These are the types of things that will burn quick if you not watching, so keep a close eye on them.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle over anything you like.
To toast almond flakes in the oven:
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Prepare baking tray with tinfoil or cookie sheet.
- Spread almonds out in single layer.
- Bake for 3-5 minutes. Checking almonds regularly, shacking to stir them.
- Keep an eye on them and stir every minute or so, they will catch and burn quick if you not looking.
- Once you are satisfied with their golden brown crispiness then remove and pour almonds onto cooling dish.
- Serve anyway you like, even in an open hand, once they have cooled that is.
Thre awesome things about toasted almond flakes; they are super tasty added to tons of meals, they are simple to prepare, almonds are one of the healthiest nuts and once made you can store these toasted almonds in an airtight container for up to two weeks before they start loosing crunchiness and flavour.
Let us know how you get on with your almond flake toasting?