Healthy Vegan G&T Nachos
Healthy G&T Nachos:
- Corn nacho chips.
- Cup of quinoa.
- 1 or 2 Avocados (to make guacamole, the glue that holds this crazy world together).
- One can of black beans or red kidney beans.
- x2 Jalapeno's
Ingredients for a basic salsa:
- Two large Tomatoes.
- One small onion.
- One table spoon Cilantro
Ingredients for a basic cashew cream:
- Cup of raw cashews.
- Juice of half a lemon.
- Half a garlic clove.
- Nutritional yeast (optional).
- Cashew nut sauce:
- Soak a cup of cashews for a minimum of 3 hours, it gives the sauce a more creamy consistency (if you forget it works just fine without soaking).
- Drain soaked cashews.
- Mix cashews, juice of half a lemon, half a clove of garlic, table spoon of nutritional yeast and a quarter cup of water in a blender.
- If you want to add another punch of health to your cashew sauce add one table spoon of nutritional yeast.
- Blend till you get a smooth consistency adding small amounts of water until you reach your desired fluidity.
- Place one cup of quinoa in a small pot.
- Add 2 cups of water and salt.
- Put on a low to medium heat, allowing the mixture to simmer until the water is absorbed, folding the mixture every now and then (once simmering cooking time is about 10 minutes).
- Place two pealed and pitted avo’s in a bowl.
- Add two pinches of salt and a pinch of pepper.
- Roughly mash avo with a fork.
- Adding salt and pepper to taste.
- Refried beans:
- Use whatever beans you like, we most often use black beans or read kidney bean.
- Drain can of beans and rinse well.
- Heat a drizzle of oil in a large pan on a medium heat.
- Place rinsed beans in the pan and fry until you reach desired texture (over cooking will lead to the beans falling apart).
- Basic salsa:
- Dice two tomatoes.
- Dice one small onion.
- Chop cilantro to make about one table spoon.
- Mix diced tomatoes, onions and chopped cilantro in a bowl adding salt to taste.
We serve this dish with the quinoa, salsa, refried beans and guacamole sectioned off in a bowl. We put this bowl on a large dinner plate and surround with the nacho chips.
The cashew nut sauce is drizzled over the top of everything. Don’t leave the this sauce in the kitchen, put it in a small serving dish and pop it on your table, you will want more.
Tell your friends you came up with this recipe that’s what we do 😉
Let me know how you got on making your batch of nachos whole food friendly?